An implant is an artificial tooth "root" surgically placed in your jawbone. Made of metallic (titanium) and bone-like ceramic materials that are compatible with your jaw, implants fuse with your bone to support a crown, bridge or full denture. Advantages of implants or why they're so popular:
• Implants don't slip or shift, giving you the same stability and security as your natural teeth.
• Implants are cleaned in the same way as your natural teeth, so there's no need to take them out at night for cleaning or soaking.
• Implants don't rely on neighboring teeth for support; therefore, no tooth structure is lost, as is necessary when fabricating a bridge.
• Implants prevent the shifting of nearby teeth, preserving jawbone and the contour of your face.
• Implants are an ideal cosmetic solution to missing teeth, allowing you to chew and speak with ease.
The stability a patient has with an implant in his or her mouth feels just like a natural tooth. Dental technology has come to the level that patients no longer need to rely on dentures as their only option for replacing missing teeth.